It is always free to visit any of our debates and participate in the lively discussion that follows.
As a member, you will have the added benefit of participating in the debate by signing up for any number of roles (Speaker, Time Keeper, Prime Minister, Leader of the Opposition, Government and Opposition Seconder and Adjudicator) for ANY of the motions scheduled for the season. Browse our upcoming debates and find something you like.
The Toronto Debating Society is a non-profit community organization. Membership fees defray council chamber rental fees and organization expenses.
- Annual membership fee: $65. In April and May (as the season draws to a close), this fee will enable you to join for the current season as well as the following season. Alternatively, a discounted $35 fee at this time will enable you to join for the remainder of the current season.
- Annual student fee: $35.
- Develop self-confidence while speaking in front of people
- Learn to think on your feet
- Voice a point of view
- Develop your powers of persuasion
- Enjoy an entertaining evening
Members can participate to any degree that they wish. Some find viewing a debate to be an entertaining evening, while others wish to debate whenever possible. Your best option is to choose whatever works for you.
Absolutely no public speaking or debating experience is necessary. There is no age restriction. Members’ occupations range from consultants, journalists, students, lawyers, computer programmers, sales reps and construction supervisors – to name a few.
We hope you’ll join us.
Attend our next meeting and become a member!